TAKE THAT LAG!When I made Reign Of Blood back in 2006, I didn't really have much idea about a lot things. This has been amazing learning experience for me. When I started it, I decided on an hourly revive system to allow people to be able to play all day long. Of course, I wasn't thinking ahead. I was sat at my Mother's desk, on her PC, messing around and creating a game. I didn't have growth in mind at all. As Reign Of Blood gained a lot of popularity, the hourly resets started getting slower and slower as it had more people to update.
In the recent couple months, it had got pretty unbearable. I got advice, talked to a few people, did some thinking and came up with a few theories. I took the game down on evening of the 10th June, worked for about an hour on doing some structure changes, and it paid off a lot better than I expected.
When 59 past hits, you barely feel any struggle at all. I was nervous when top of hour came for the first time after I let everybody back in, but I am so happy it worked out better than I planned. I am super excited everybody can now experience a top of hour that doesn't lag like hell.
There might be a few glitches here and there whilst it runs in the 'real world'. But I will continue to optimise as normal to keep pages as fast as possible.
Little updatesA few little updates I've also done today:
- Jailed players no longer appear on 'top vampire' leaderboards page
- Sidebar mp hover reworded
- Fixed a small equipment page alignment issue
- Vadenhill feeds moved to half past the hour
Blog UpdatesBlogs are one those features that not a lot of people use. But the people who do use it, use them a lot, and love using them. With over 45,000 total blogs posted so far, I can happily announce a good few updates for them.
- Now fully named "blog center". Still can be found from your [social panel]
- Updated and cleaned up the layout on many pages
- Extended the title and mood box, added randomised default mood
- Blog TYPE added. Choose from personal, RP, story and poems to set a category for your blog (you can go through and edit all your current blogs to update their category)
- Up to 5 blogs are now displayed on your profiles (v2 only)
- Updated directory which includes title search and category listings
- You can now select which blog posts you want displayed on your profile with the new profile blog control panel. You can add up to 5
- The profile blog section has been updated and looks much better
- You can now SUBSCRIBE to blogs and get NOTIFICATIONS when a new blog is posted by someone you are subscribed to
- You can now set blogs to 'family only' (family YOU have added)
- Fixed a few small including linking errors
- Private blogs no longer show up anywhere for anyone else
Head over to the blog center now to check it. I hope you agree its a lot more useful and use friendly now.
I hope you enjoy these updates and the improved page loads,